The Municipality of Strathroy-Caradoc contracts Bluewater Recycling Association for the co-collection of recyclables and garbage. Residents are encouraged to visit the Bluewater Recycling Association website to find up-to-date information regarding delays and cancellations. The company website also provides details on items that are acceptable for collection.
|Recycling and Garbage Collection|
|Responsibilities of Residents|
The following outlines the responsibilities of residents, as identified in Section C of our Collection and Disposal of Solid Waste and Recycling Material Bylaw:
1. No person shall set out for collection any waste or recyclable material before 7:00 p.m. on the evening prior to the day of collection.
2. Waste and recyclable material shall be set out for collection by 7:00 a.m. on the day of collection.
3. No person shall set out material, waste, or recyclable materials for collection in a manner not provided for in this bylaw.
4. All waste and recyclable material set out for collection shall be placed as close as possible to the edge of the roadway without obstructing the roadway, sidewalk, or footpath. No waste or recyclable material set for collection shall be placed in the gutter or ditches or on the traveled portion of the roadway. The Municipality shall have the right to designate the most convenient point for collection.
5. No person shall throw, place, or deposit in or on any street, highway, land, alley, or other public place within the Municipality any material, waste, or recyclable material, except as provided for in this bylaw.
6. In commercial premises including but not limited to restaurants, grocery stores, food stores, butcher and meat shops, or on any premises where it is necessary to accumulate waste in large amounts, the same shall be placed in containers and the contents shall be stored in a waste room or bin so constructed to prevent the entrance of flies, rats, or other vermin, and the said room or bin shall be maintained in a sanitary condition at all times. No person shall deposit or place any waste, material or other refuse in any location or manner within the Municipality of Strathroy-Caradoc other than in such locations and at such times as are provided for in this by-law.
7. No person shall pick over, interfere with, scavenge, disturb, remove, or scatter any waste, recyclable material, or other refuse set out for collection, with the exception of any employee, authorized agent, or representative of the Municipality.
8. No person shall deposit, cause, permit, or allow to be deposited any waste, recyclable materials or other refuse on any lands not owned by him or her unless the owner of the lands has authorized the materials to be deposited thereupon in writing. This section does not apply to the placement of waste, recyclables, or other permitted material on the road allowance for the purpose of collection by the Municipality or its agent under the provisions of this bylaw.
9. Ashes are not to be set out for collection until at least 5 days after they have been removed from fire and are kept in a separate, non-flammable container placed inside the waste cart.
10. Waste shall be drained of liquids before it is placed in a container for collection and the liquids are managed appropriately.
11. Recyclables are free of any solid, semi-solid, or liquid contaminant which would render them non-recyclable.
12. Waste set out for collection is separated into Garbage and Recyclables.
13. Each type of collectable Waste (Garbage and Recyclables) is placed in a separate container (bin) when set out for collection.
14. For every property which is leased, the Property Owner shall provide, for the use of every tenant, sufficient bins for Garbage and Recyclables.
15. Every Waste Generator and Property Owner to whom a bin has been provided by the Municipality shall:
(a) Ensure such bin is kept in good condition, and not in a condition that is noxious, offensive, or dangerous to public health;
(b) Ensure the safekeeping of such bin;
(c) Promptly notify the Director of Building and Waste Services if such bin is lost or stolen;
(d) Be responsible for the cost of repairing such bin if it is damaged, or of replacing such bin if it is lost or stolen, if either occurs through the negligence of the Waste Generator or Property Owner, or if the damage or loss is not covered by warranty; and
(e) Promptly return each bin to the Director of Building and Waste Services upon request.
The Municipality of Strathroy-Caradoc recommends the process of composting as a means of reducing household waste. Other benefits of composting include:
Composters can be ordered at the Strathroy-Caradoc Municipal Office. They are ordered from Bluewater Recycling Association and delivered to the Municipal Office for pickup.
For more information on composting and available products, visit the Bluewater Recycling Association website.
|Hazardous Waste Disposal|
Household special waste (HSW) are items that are corrosive, flammable, ignitable, or reactive such as paint, batteries, and compact fluorescent light bulbs. These items should not be placed with your regular garbage due to the negative impact to the environment if placed directly into a landfill.
Thanks to the County of Middlesex's agreement with the City of London, county residents can drop off HSW items at the City's Household Special Waste drop-off depot located at 3502 Manning Drive, just south of Highway 401. Depot hours are from 8 a.m. - 4 p.m. from Tuesday to Friday, and 9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. on Saturdays. County residents are free to drop off items at any time during these hours. Learn more about Household Special Waste Disposal for Residents of Strathroy-Caradoc (PDF [229 kB]).
For more information on the HSW program please visit www.makethedrop.ca for complete details.
It is important to deposit used electronics such as computers, televisions, and telephones at an appropriate collection site. These items are not accepted at the W12A landfill but are accepted at municipal transfer stations, and at some electronic retail stores. See "Bulk Item Disposal at Transfer Stations" above for more information on the two waste transfer sites in the Municipality of Strathroy-Caradoc, or visit www.recycleyourelectronics.ca for details on participating retail locations.
Aerosol & Paint Cans
Empty paint cans and lids can be placed loose in the blue box together with other containers. Lids must be left off so the collection truck driver can see that the can is empty. Labels can stay on the cans. Empty aerosol cans may also be placed loose in the blue box with other containers. The spray nozzles, lids, and paper labels can stay on.
If the aerosols or paint cans are not empty, use up the product or give it to a friend or neighbour who can use it up. Full or partially full containers are considered hazardous waste and must be brought to the City of London W12A Landfill site noted above.
For more information on hazardous waste disposal, visit the Bluewater Recycling Association website.
The Municipality of Strathroy-Caradoc operates two waste transfer stations for its residents. Absolutely no household garbage is accepted at these locations. Please note that shingles and asphalt are accepted at the Strathroy Transfer Station only. The hours of operation for the two transfer station sites are as follows:
Mount Brydges Transfer Station
22416 Mill Road, Mount Brydges
April to November - 2nd and 4th Saturday of the month
December to March - 4th Saturday of the month.
OPEN: 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Strathroy Transfer Station
27786 Pike Road, Strathroy (Lagoon Site)
March to November - Every Wednesday and Saturday;
December to February - 2nd Saturday of the month.
OPEN: 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Set pick-up reminders, view complete program details, and learn what goes where with Bluewater Recycling's MyWaste app for Apple and Android devices.